Joseph M.Ngumi has consulted with many bakeries over the past 25 years. Topics such as opening a new bakery, business layout and help to business owners in order for them to understand what builds success.
Joseph M. Ngumi & Associates
More than 25 years of experience in the training and development of baking expertise and skills.
This is in the areas of:
- New Product development, troubleshooting and product evaluation.
- Start up business including formulas, equipment specifications and bakery wholesale and retail layout
- Evaluating overseas operations specializing in the African Market.
- Training new bakers on sight or in our Nairobi College of Bread and Confectionery Technology training facility
- Custom designing breads, cookies, cakes and pastries.
- Trouble-shooting yeasted products as well as cookies and cake production.
- Follow-up and continuing educational support available on a continuing basis by Ngumi
Joseph M.Ngumi & Associates
is the consulting arm of Nairobi College of Bread and Confectionery Technology The line between the two may sometimes become blurred.
A high percentage of our students come to the College with the aim of opening a bakery, if not now, sometime in the near future.
Other people contact us wanting to open a bakery or bakeries. They would have little baking skills and bakery knowledge or non at all.
Ngumi’s approach to consulting is as personal and unique as how he teaches baking. He formulates a customized strategy and then takes a “hands on” approach to oversee the technicians, bakers, plumbers, or manufacturers of what ever is necessary to solve or bring to completion the task or bakery as the case may be.
He takes a very active roll in what ever needs to be done which is his way of bringing good results and a lot of satisfied customers.
Whether on the site, within the African continent, or coaching over the phone, he is there for his clients. Ngumi feels that there is so much more to it than just being a good baker or having a great location to building a successful bakery.
Ngumi has worked on many openings of all types over the past 25 years, from small to large bakeries, from re-designing bakeries’ products to re-designing the bakery facilities depending on the problems that have been identified.
In assessing the problems and formulating a plan with the client, he brings years of small and medium size up-scaled bakery and baking knowledge with him as he takes a no-nonsense approach to solving the situations whether they be lack of baking knowledge, improper or wrong sized equipment, poor bakery lay out or employee problems.
Ngumi has a passion for success and well run bakeries.
He is especially proud of bakeries he has worked with that are making wonderful products.
Small Bakery Problem Solving
- Training staff to handle product timing and ingredient and production controls.
- Team building skills and testing to find the "best person" for the job. Infuse enthusiasm.
- Solving product formulation problems that deal with the need for flavor enhancement, handling ability in production, profitability or longer shelf life.
- Creating new products or lines of products or re-formulating.
- Existing products for easier handling, greater shelf life and above all customer acceptance.
- Training professionals in new techniques or products - refresh their ideas.
- Image marketing targeting specific ethnic tastes or voids.
- Assessing a market, and developing a specific product to meet that need.
- Packaging ideas to reflect the products target market.
- New products or new to YOU.
- New trends and influences, such as low carb.
- New techniques
- Creating new products with TODAY'S consumer demands in mind.
- Training chefs that feel a lack of education in the pastry arena and are looking for that comfort level.
- Designing new lower fat, healthier products to meet the demands of today's market.
- Defining an image.
- Targeting a market and identifying the customer and meeting their demands with a product or a line of products.
- Evaluating small or large production for optimum profit.
- Training staff on cost and loss issues and how to customize a paper trail that will alert them to possible problems.
- Formula support and trouble shooting.
- Motivational training for retail staff.
Joseph M. Ngumi
Nairobi College of Bread and Confectionery Technology since 2002
Baking Consultant in Africa since 1997
Owned and operated Luciana bakeries ltd and Wama Bakery ltd.
A consummate student of the bakery foods Market
Understands today's needs of the entrepreneur
Author of several training material in theory and practice of baking.